Before applying to the Graduate School for Health Sciences (GHS), candidates must have been accepted by a thesis advisor and been offered a position. Check the websites of the participating faculties for details of research activities, and the offers for open PhD positions of the GHS and the University of Bern.
General Information: Application Procedure
The application procedure comprises two separate steps:
- Registration at the University of Bern (before application to the GHS)
- Application to the GHS
Condition for admission to the GHS is a Master's degree or an equivalent diploma from a Swiss or a foreign university. Adequate knowledge of the English language is a mandatory prerequisite.
Applications to the GHS must be submitted to the Coordinator within four months after having started the research project.
Within one to three months after having submitted the written application, each candidate will be invited to a personal interview with one of the GHS Expert Committees.
Step 1: Registration at the University of Bern
Registration at the University of Bern
All applicants are required to apply online for admission at the University of Bern, as indicated on the below-mentioned websites. Read the instructions on the appropriate website, fill in the relevant form «Confirmation of Supervision», and follow the steps indicated on the form. The form «Confirmation of Supervision» has to be signed by the Coordinator of the GHS in the last section of p. 2. No signature is required from the Dean's Office.
Candidates with Foreign Diplomas
Registration at the University of Bern is required before signing your employment contract with your supervisor.
PhD candidates must register at the same faculty to which their supervisor is affiliated.
Step 2: Application to the GHS
Deadlines for Application
Application deadlines for the GHS: January 10th, May 1st, September 1st
Submission of electronic documents # 1-8 as a single, merged PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org
Incomplete files/folders will not be considered
GHS Application Checklist
- Fully completed, dated and signed GHS Application Form (PDF, 161KB). Please note that either electronic or scanned signature is necessary
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of acceptance by the thesis advisor including financial pledge by the thesis advisor, granting the PhD student, as a rule, a salary according to the standard of SNSF regulations. letter of acceptance and financial pledge (DOCX, 53KB)
- Written Statement of Co-Referee (DOCX, 78KB), dated and signed
- Additionally & only for candidates that apply to the Expert Committee III (PhD in Clinical Sciences):
Clear and explicit confirmation of the clinical positions from the head of the clinic. This document should include also a statement that 50% of time is allocated to research for the entire duration of the doctorate
- Description of planned research project using the GHS Research Project Form (DOCX, 207KB). It should comprise two to max. four pages, be written by the candidate and address the items according to the outlines on the form. Confirmation by the Ethics Committee that the planned experiments are approved needs to be included, if applicable
- Photocopies of university diplomas and intermediate diplomas/exam certificates (e.g. Bachelor and Master)
- Certified Photocopies of all transcripts/mark sheets (e.g. Bachelor and Master). Copies of translations of all documents from #6 and #7 if they are issued in a language other than German, English, French or Italian. Transcripts must include a conversion key for marks where needed
For further details, see:
- Incomplete files/folders will not be considered.